Brain Cancer is the Number 2 type of cancer in children.
Because a child can survive Leukemia/Lymphoma at a higher rate, Brain Cancer is the Number 1 cause of cancer death in children.
BRAIN TUMORS IN CHILDREN*
- More than 28,000 children (0-19 years of age) are estimated to be living with a brain tumor in the US
- An estimated 4,610 new cases of childhood and adolescent (15-19 years of age) primary malignant and nonmalignant brain and CNS tumors are expected to be diagnosed in 2018
- The average survival rate for all primary pediatric (0-19 years of age) malignant brain tumors is 73.9%
- Brain and CNS tumors are the most prevalent form of pediatric cancer in kids under 19
- Pediatric brain tumors are the leading cause of cancer-related death among children and adolescents ages 0-19, surpassing leukemia.
- It is estimated that, in 2009, a total of 47,631.5 years of potential life were lost due to brain tumors in children 0-19 years old
- The most prevalent brain tumor types in children (0-14):
Neuronal and mixed neuronal-glial tumors
Learn more at http://braintumor.org/brain-tumor-information/brain-tumor-facts/
*Brain Tumor Facts data collected by Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States (CBTRUS) in CBTRUS Statistical Facts Report of Primary Brain and Other Central Nervous System Tumors Diagnosed in the United States in 2010 – 2014.